Not sure if my thoughts are currently odd, but considering my recent bout of insomnia, everything seems to me odd at the moment.
A couple nights ago I tried again to get into Armand Marie Leroi's book about human Mutants and genetic variety and sadly it failed to put me to sleep or to stir up my booklust (booklust = the NEED to read a certain book until its finished due to its fabulousness). I dunno, maybe I'm just not excited by genetics right now. I've been trying to find a book I could lust over without actually buying a new book since A. I own plenty of un-read books, B. I'm broke, and C. I miss reading, but nothing has struck my fancy. Until friday that is. On fri I saw my PI and he gave us our christmas presents (I left town to early to get it before), and since its always a book, I knew it would be a book. In the elevator down from his office I tore into the wrapping and squealed with glee to my coworkers that I had wanted this book- I just kept forgetting to buy it. And now I have a serious case of booklust. I dont think I've been so excited about a book since the last great book of 2007 (A Feast for Crows), which I read forever ago. And what is this book?? Microbe Hunters by Paul De Kruif (orig pub 1926 and w/ a new intro by F. Gonzalez-Crussi). Its pretty much a classic in microbiology and its interesting enough that I think pretty much anyone would like it. There's a lot of really neat info in it about all of the original discoverers (some who are more obscure than they deserve to be) of all things too small to see w/ the naked eye. I especially love that De Kruif and all of the first hunters call the things "wee beasties" and "animalcules." Tee hee
I try to not follow presidential races too far in advance because I personally think our politicians should be doing their tax-paid jobs instead of campaigning constantly for 2 years but since the MA primary is coming up in Feb I have of late been trying to decide who to vote for. (Disclaimer - if you are a relative or close friend do not continue reading. I'm following my fathers' philosophy that politics and family do not mix and can cause ridiculous pointless arguments) Lately I've been back and forth between John Edwards and Barack Obama. Now, its not that I think we shouldn't or couldn't have a women in office, and its not that I dont like Hilary, I'm fine with her, I just dont think that she has the power to win. And really folks, this time we Liberals need a winner. Its pretty clear that our country has gone to shit under the idiots currently running the show and if we want to avoid irreparable damage we need a winner this time around.
So just for fun I did the candidate calculator I found on Amanda's blog and to my surprise the candidate I most identify w/ on issues is Dennis Kucinich. Then comes Christopher Dodd, Mike Gravel, Clinton, Joseph Biden, Obama, and finally Edwards to round out the Dems. Obviously I really didnt match w/ any of the reds. Now, does this mean I'm likely to change my vote - not really because I personally think that only Obama, Edwards, and Clinton have enough "star power" to make it out of the primaries.
I think that an Obama/Edwards ticket would be very powerful and hey wouldn't it be neat if we had a black president from Illinois, the same state that produced President Lincoln who abolished slavery?
Ok, so political diatribe is over. whew, what a long winded post about nothing this is.
1 comment:
sorry to hear you are still not sleeping hun... :(
Post a Comment