It's that time again- time for the annual year-wrap-up blog post. One of the Only things I am decently good at doing every year on time. (: Here is the link to last years post, which gives further links to 2008 and 2007. Hard to believe I've been blogging that long.
1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Went kayaking. Went to a European music festival (involving multiple days and camping). Hosted/cooked a proper Thanksgiving dinner outside of the USA. Spent Christmas with someone else's family. One thing that was done to me and not by me was I was robbed - my purse was stolen. I'd never before been a direct victim of crime ):
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Okay so I did fairly well on my resolutions for last year. I sadly did not finish learning Dutch. BUT I did find my equilibrium here and regained joy in my life and stopped complaining so much about being single. it especially helped that I'm no longer single though, so I guess I cant count that one.
My resolutions for 2011 are: keep learning Dutch (be able to hold small conversations); make significant dents in paying off my credit cards (paid one off this year!); better manage my time so I can relax/exercise too.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope, no births this year. But there were several weddings.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I wasnt too close with my uncle Steve, but he did die suddenly. Also, my dad's mom died.
5. What countries did you visit?
Israel and Czech Republic!
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
A first author scientific publication.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The day Jamie moved in with me is the only one I can think of right now.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Not quitting my PhD - ie surviving 2010.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Again - I finished knitting a couple things I have not yet seamed..... Oh well, maybe next year?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Again yes. Haven't been sick as much this year as last but I do seem to be very good at injuring myself. Nothing that has required hospital visits though. On Christmas eve I slipped and fell on ice and smacked my face on the ground/ice - my glasses cut me and gave me a black eye - it's still all nasty and ouchy.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
New bed and furniture. Mucha posters. My awesome camera that I owned for just 3 months before it was stolen with my purse. My new tattoo.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My office-mates for tolerating each others idiosyncrasies and for supporting/helping me when I was ready to give up and quit. Jamie for taking care of me when I work 10-12 hour days 60 days in a row.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The owner of the flat I lived in over the summer - refused to give me my deposit back just for the hell of it b/c he can. The person who stole my Purse in Prague. The police lady in Prague that yelled at me for being a stupid tourist and being at fault for my bag being stolen.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Moving. Rent. Getting my ID cards re-issued after the theft (thanks stingy Dutch govt).
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Seeing the Bruins in Prague (which i didnt get to thanks to the purse-snatcher). Jamie coming back from his world tour to visit me.
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2010?
Soon by Triggerfinger. Teenage Dream by Katy Perry. Billionaire by Travie McCoy and Bruno Mars.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?
Happier, fatter, tad richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Cry over failed experiments.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
For the first time ever I was away from my parents and family. I spent Christmas and Boxing Day with Jamie's family in Stevenage, England.
21. Did you fall in love in 2010?
I did, actually. I fell in Love with a guy I'd met during the great Eurocrazy tour of 2008 and he became the most amazing, sweet, awesome boyfriend ever.
23. What was your favorite TV program?
True Blood def was a major new thing for me. Big Bang Theory, How not to live your life, and Walking Dead are all enjoyable to watch too.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Sure, the person(s) that stole my purse!
25. What was the best book you read?
oooh, thats a bit tough considering I started a bunch and finished none. Too much PhD reading going on.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I rediscovered a love of Rammstein after seeing them live; I guess I now take pleasure in listening to Katy Perry (but only b/c Jamie sings the songs to me); and I really like Bruno Mars and I had never heard of him before.
27. What did you want and get?
A significant other. A place to call home (ie: a place to live in Utrecht that's not temporary).
28. What did you want and not get?
Oh hundreds of things went wrong in the lab.....
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
hmmmmm. tough one. Probably Machete
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 28. I had some friends over for beer and cake. it was nice.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A magical understanding of the Dutch language. More contact with the people, freinds and family, I left in the States.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Mostly the same as previous years - whatever doesnt make me look pudgy and lots of black with a creeping towards a bit of "Dutch" and "European" fashion.
33. What kept you sane?
My office-mates and my boyfriend.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I read Dan Savage weekly - he's a mini celebrity, right?
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Same as last year: Marriage equality - no reason the States should discriminate. Immigration rights.
36. Who did you miss?
My friends who are not in the same country as me. My Grampa. Jamie while he was in Canada and USA.
37. Who was the best new person you met? Why?
I havent met very many people this year compared to last year, or at least, Ive met so many new people the past 1.5 years I cant really remember who was in 2009 and 2010....
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Some people are jerks and criminals, always be vigilant in foreign cities (i should have known that one already but I lapsed).
39. A Quote that sums up your year.
"With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy." Max Ehrmann, 1927.